Juventus manager Massimiliano Allegri says Paul Pogba has nobody to blame for himself after the midfielder was ruled out of France’s World Cup squad.
The former Manchester United man is yet to make his second debut for the Italians after sustaining a knee injury in pre-season.
It was decided by Pogba and his team that they would not have surgery on the meniscus injury and instead give it time to heal naturally.
Pogba returned to light training last month but he sustained a thigh injury and he will not be ready in time to take part in the World Cup in Qatar.
With N’Golo Kante already out, France are set to be without their first choice midfield as they look to retain the trophy.
Pogba met with specialists at the start of the season and was convinced not to undergo surgery, with the hope of returning in late September.
However, Allegri believes that decision has cost Pogba his place at the World Cup.
‘Not yet,’ he said ahead of Juventus’ match against PSG on Wednesday. ‘I spoke to him earlier. It’s pointless repeating what has already been said.
‘Once the decision was made not to have surgery at the start of the season, it was normal that hopes that he could return with Juventus and France were slim.
‘He’s sorry for Juventus and the World Cup, it’s normal, we were penalised for not having him available.’
It comes after Manchester United were accused of ‘knowing’ about Pogba’s injuries before they released the midfielder last July.
Pogba rejoined Juventus after a six-year stint at Old Trafford but former manager Luigi Maifredi says United knew about his injury before deciding not to keep him.
‘Behind the failure of the Juventus team there is also the poor performance of the transfer campaign. Then let’s face it, if Manchester gives away Pogba so easily, they must have [knowm] something. There are consequences for Juventus.’ he said.